NELLE’S FAMOUS BRISKET
ADAPTED FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES
GUARANTEED TO TURN HERBIVORES INTO CARNIVORES!!!!!
SERVES 6-8; JUST DOUBLE INGREDIENTS FOR LARGER CROWD
BEST IF MADE ONE DAY AHEAD
– 1 5-6 LB Beef Brisket – Kosher, First Cut if possible
- Crushed Garlic—enough to generously smear on both sides of the brisket
- Paprika – enough to sprinkle on both sides of brisket
- Pepper – enough to sprinkle on both sides of brisket
- 2 TBS vegetable oil
- 8 Long Carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces (do NOT use packaged “baby carrots”)
- 6 Celery stalks cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 Large onions sliced thin
- 31/2 cups beef broth (preferably organic, low-salt brand)
- 1/2 cup red wine (Chucky Two Buck works great)
- 11/2 tsp. thyme
- 2TBS Brown Sugar
-PRE-HEAT OVEN TO 325F
-Rinse beef under cold water and pat dry. Rub all over with garlic. Sprinkle both sides with pepper and paprika.
-Heat oil in large Dutch oven over high heat. Add beef and brown well on all sides (approx. 8-10 minutes)
-Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
-Transfer to oven. Cook covered 3 hrs, then uncovered 30 minutes more.
-Transfer beef to serving platter, cover and keep warm. Strain cooking broth from vegetables. Slice beef and serve with vegetables on platter. Put broth in gravy boat or pitcher.
If made one day ahead:
-When done cooking, Cool. Cover beef, broth, and vegetables separately and refrigerate overnight.
-Skim fat and return broth to Dutch oven and heat to boiling.
-Add meat and vegetables and reheat in 350F oven for 30 minutes..
-Slice beef and serve with broth and vegetables.
I can’t wait to try this recipe.making me hungry already!!!
I can’t wait to try this recipe.This is making me hungry already!!!